The Global Flyfisher’s Martin Joergensen writes:
1) Prefer single hooks and one hook only. Trebles are potential trouble if you ask me. Multiple hooks shouldn’t be used.
2) Fish barbless if you’re fishing catch and release (C&R). Pinch the barb on barbed hooks. Barbless hooks hook well and holds fine, but unhooks indefinitely much easier.
3) Gear up for what you are catching. Match rod weight, reel size, tippet strength and hook to the size and strength of your quarry. Fishing too light prolongs fighting times and leaves broken off fish with hooks in them.
4) Fight and land fish as quickly as you can, within a few minutes if possible. A fresh fish manages much better after release.
5) Unhook C&R fish in the water if possible. Simply grab the hook and slip it out.Tweet